The objective of the Association is to promote European rail freight transport and its stakeholders active in that area through the complete liberalisation of the market and to:
- support the development of an economically attractive environment for strengthening efficient European rail freight transport throughout the entire logistics and supply chain;
- improve the competitive position of rail freight against other modes especially in a political and legal context;
- bring about optimal operating conditions for rail freight on the European rail network;
- work towards reducing the legal and material obstacles to cross-border and international transport services;
- strive for growth of rail freight through genuine liberalisation for a fully transparent, independent and open market;
- work towards the development of interoperability and the definition of common safety standards commensurate with competing modes.